Starting your day with a healthy and nutritious breakfast is a must. A hearty breakfast will give you the energy you need to tackle those busy days and has been linked to an increase in memory function and concentration. It’ll also calm your appetite and cravings so you have more time to focus on your task at hand instead of the overwhelming hunger in your stomach!
Old fashion oats are one of our favorite breakfast ingredients. They're full of fibers that support the health of your gut microbiome, and the health of your gut microbiome influences the health of pretty much your entire body! Studies have shown that oat beta-glucan supported the growth of beneficial bacteria in the gut and helps maintain weight, reduce cholesterol and lower the odds of heart disease. So, try to add this delicious oatmeal recipe into your morning routine to support a healthy heart and gut.
Serving size: 1
½ cup of old fashioned oats
1 cup water
1 tbs of sliced almonds
1 tbs of ground flax seed
½ cup of mixed berries of choice (we love strawberrries and blueberries)
1 tsp honey
Optional: 2 Tbsp almond milk
1. In a small pot over medium heat, combine the oats and water and stir constantly until the oats come to a boil and soften to desired consistency (about 5-10 minutes).
2. Transfer the cooked oats to a small serving bowl.
3. Top the oats with the sliced almonds, flax seed, and berries.
4. Drizzle honey over everything to add a hint of sweetness.
5. If a creamier consistency is desired, pour a few tablespoons of almond milk on top.