We’ve all heard the old saying “you are what you eat”. It’s easy to dismiss this saying since we’ve all heard it a million times, but not only do the foods we eat fuel our bodies, they also have an impact on how our skin looks and feels. Lean proteins like chicken and turkey breast, beans, legumes, tofu, and egg whites support collagen levels and provide the building blocks for our skin. Proteins are also rich in zinc and niacin which have been suggested to reduce acne lesions. Try out this turkey burger recipe to get in your daily dose of lean protein (oh, and we snuck in some veggies too ;).
Turkey Burgers with Mango and Avocado Salsa
Turkey Patty Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ medium onion, finely chopped
1 large egg
½ cup black beans, drained
Mango and Avocado Salsa Ingredients:
1 medium mango, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1 medium avocado, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix the ground turkey, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion, egg, and black beans until just combined.
2. Form the mixture into 4 patties.
3. Lightly oil a large frying pan and heat over medium heat. Cook each patty 5-10 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
4. As the burgers cook, prepare the salsa by combining all the salsa ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Toss to combine.
5. Serve the turkey burger on a whole-wheat bun, open-faced with a few tablespoons of salsa on top.