There’s nothing like the taste of sweet treats, peppermint, and indulgent foods to give us comfort during the holiday season. While it’s important to indulge and treat ourselves sometimes, too much of these treats can leave us feeling a little blah. For some, high glycemic foods can also exacerbate breakouts, and an overly sugary diet can harm your gut microbiome. The next time you’re looking for a sweet, holiday-inspired treat, try this peppermint chocolate green smoothie to give you the taste of the holidays using nutrient-dense, gut-healthy ingredients.
Serving size: 2
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened milk of choice
- ½ avocado
- 2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbs maple syrup
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup washed and dried baby spinach
- 2 tbs chopped walnuts
- 1 tbs flax seed
- 2 cups ice
- Optional: 2 tbs whipped cream
1. Combine all of the ingredients besides the ice and whipped topping in a blender. Blend until smooth.
2. Add the ice and continue blending until smooth.
3. Poor into two glasses and top with whipped cream, if desired.
*Recipe adapted from Healthy Delicious (https://www.healthy-delicious.com/chocolate-peppermint-green-smoothie/)